28 Nov Gender-Based Violence: Various Forms of Violence in Numbers – 16 Days of Activism
- There is an estimate that 35 percent of women worldwide have experienced either physical and/or sexual intimate partner violence or sexual violence by a non-partner in some point in their lives. Also, in some national studies it says that up to 70 percent of women have experienced physical and/or sexual violence from an intimate partner in their lives.
- Women who have been physically or sexually abused by their partners are more than twice as likely to have an abortion, almost twice as likely to experience and in some regions almost 1.5 times more likely to acquire HIV.
- There is an estimate that of all of the women who were victims of homicide globally in 2012, almost half were killed by intimate partners or family members. In comparison, less than 6 percent of men were killed in the same year.
- Worldwide, there are almost 750 million women and girls alive today that were married before their 18th
- Worldwide, there are around 120 million girls that have experienced forced intercourse or other forced sexual acts at some point in their lives. The most common perpetrators for these situations are current of former husbands, partners or boyfriends.
- In 30 countries, around 200 million women and girls alive today have undergone female genital mutilation. In most countries, the majority of the girls were cut before age 5.
- Adult women account for 51 percent of all human trafficking victims detected globally. Women and girls together account for 71 percent. The girls represent almost three out of every four child trafficking victims.
- Cyber-harassment since the age of 15 is something 1 in 10 women have experienced. The risk is higher to experience cyber-harassment for women that are between 18 and 29 years old.
- 23 percent of women that are undergraduate university students have reported having experienced sexual assault or misconduct in a survey across 27 universities in the United States.
- 82 percent of women parliamentarians who have participated in a study conducted by the Inter-parliamentary Union in 39 countries across 5 regions reported having experienced some form of psychological violence while serving terms.
These are international statistics, available from: http://www.unwomen.org/en/what-we-do/ending-violence-against-women/facts-and-figures. On this website you will also be able to data specific to your country.