09 Mar ‘Did you know?’ Thursdays
Did you know that yesterday was International Women’s Day ?
On March 8 every year, we celebrate and commemorate the political, social, economic and cultural achievements of women, and remind ourselves of ongoing and future challenges.
Many events took place around the world, here are some examples :
– The Government of Iceland announced plans to eliminate the gender pay gap by 2022.
– In Paris, protesters marched from the Place de la République to the Opéra Garnier.
– In Seoul, about 700 women’s rights advocates rallied to call for an end to gender discrimination and the loosening of abortion restrictions.
– In Georgia, women demonstrated under a symbolic “glass ceiling” to illustrate limitations on women’s empowerment.
– in Rome women of all ages, as well as some men, took to the streets to protest against discrimination, wage inequality and violence against women.
– In Malta, President Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca made a statement, explaining why Women’s Day is still needed nowadays. « We must recognise that women will never gain full dignity until Maltese society makes a true commitment to respect the fundamental human rights we share in common . »
Curious to know more? Click here for more information.