20 Apr ‘Did you know?’ Thursdays
There are different types of human rights violations: find out more!
Here are 11 facts :
- 40 million children below the age of 15 suffer from abuse and neglect.
- Every city with a population greater than 250,000 reports gang activity.
- Approximately 27 million people are currently enslaved in the human trafficking trade around the world.
- More than 300,000 children under the age of 18 are being exploited as child soldiers in armed conflicts worldwide.
- Even though 2/3 of the world has abolished the death penalty, 1,591 people were knowingly executed in 2006 alone. The real figures of executions are likely much higher, 91% of these penalties took place in China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan, and the U.S.
- Millions of people are displaced in regions like Darfur where ethnic cleansing and violent conflict occurs. The displaced are forced to rely on humanitarian relief. Humanitarian workers are often kidnapped and attacked, and relief trucks are looted.
- Several governments monitor their citizens’ Internet use and have censored or imprisoned them for freely expressing opinions online. People in China have been arrested and charged for using the Internet as a tool to spread human rights information.
- Armed conflict has killed 2 million children, disabled 4 to 5 million, left 12 million homeless, and orphaned more than 1 million in the past decade.
- There are approximately 246 million child laborers worldwide.
- Protestors of repressive governments across the Middle East and North Africa have been killed, beaten, and arrested by police in the streets for voicing their opinions of reforms.
- Throughout history, women have been denied the knowledge, means, and freedom to act in the best interest of themselves and their children.