06 Apr ‘Did you know?’ Thursdays
Did you know about the gravity of domestic violence around the world?
Here are 11 facts regarding domestic violence:
- 38 million people have at some point in their lives experienced some form of physical violence in their intimate relationships.
- 1 in every 4 women are victims of domestic violence. On the other hand, when it comes to
males, statistics show that it is 1 in every 7 men who are domestic violence victims.
- A woman is beaten every 9 seconds in the US.
- Each day, 3 women are murdered by their current or former partners.
- The risk of domestic violence victims being murdered by their partner increases by 8 times if
there are any firearms present at home.
- Domestic violence is more likely to take place between 6pm and 6am.
- 20 to 24 year olds are at a greater risk of being victims of domestic violence, than are any other
women coming from other age groups.
- Being disabled increases one’s risk of being a victim of domestic violence by 40%.
- Black women are 35% more likely of being domestic violence victims.
- Half of homeless women are indeed in this situation due to domestic violence, as they would
rather flee from home than be a victim of violence.
- Boys who witness domestic violence at home during their childhood, are twice more likely of
growing up into being abusers themselves to their wives or perhaps their children.